Surfing The Atlantic

Should probably clarify that I mean the Atlantic Highway, aka a section of road between Devon and Cornwall. Because yes, I spent the last seven days down in Cornwall and even though the weather wasn't really on our side, the trip was still wonderful. When thinking of the South West there are a few words that spring to mind and believe me, Cornwall delivered on all of them.

Beaches. I always forget how much I love beaches until I'm on one. The waves lapping onto soggy sections of sand, damp dogs dipping their paws in fresh, freezing water, kids making sandcastles and adults playing volleyball - what is there not to love? With Cornwall, it's even better. Hoards of people don all-black wetsuits and head into vast stretches of sea, ready to surf the waves. I wanted desperately to try stand up paddle boarding - it looked like the least ferocious of the many water-borne activities on offer - but time just slipped away from us before I was able to. Nevertheless, it's given me a reason to go back (if I can handle another set of seriously long car journeys, that is).

Seaside. We explored a few of the quaint, little sea side towns, seeking out quirky little galleries and harbours full of boats. On days the rain kept us indoors, we played endless card games and went for glorious meals. It's probably a good idea I didn't try paddle boarding since I easily gained ten pounds from all the over-indulging I happily submitted my body to. I'm almost certain I would have sunk. I'm not one for fad diets but I do think a cleanse of some sort might be in order! 

Indulgence. Speaking of over indulging, it's impossible not to take in a few rounds of fish and chips when you're practically living on the sea. Some might say we ate too many portions but really, who can judge? It's a vacation - or rather staycation - meaning indulgence is basically mandatory, right?

Sunsets. With the endless fields of different tones of green and skies full of colour (except when it rained), many a night passed where I stood outside, camera in hand, snapping successive shots of the sun setting again clouds of pink and orange. I never get bored of taking photos like that - I do it at home too! 

Freedom. For the entire week I shut off all wi-fi and wrote down every day in a journal I'd been saving for such an occasion. It felt good to record all we did so that in months and years to come, I could relive what was truly a superb seven days. I have an inordinate amount of pictures detailing where we went and what we did that I'm going to have to somehow narrow down so I can add them to my scrapbook. But let's be honest, that's not exactly going to be taxing - it means I get to spend a few more hours in holiday mode before reality comes back to bite me on the bum.




Come rain or shine, the beach was fine and the sunsets and food were good, too!

Share:

0 comments